Standing desks have recently become a popular trend to make your working environment as ergonomic as possible, a refreshing change from the typical workstation. An ergonomic workstation provides the optimum combination of efficiency and comfort.
Erika Alexander Net Worth: What Has Contributed to Her Wealth?
Sitting is now the new smoking, as it’s widespread and highly dangerous in the long run. But the good news is that with the growth of home offices, we now have more control over our workspace than ever before. If so, why not try a standing desk? FlexiSpot allows you to pick the colour, shape, and size of the frame and desktop, as well as many other workstation features.
In this blog post, we’ll go through what makes a standing desk so beneficial to one’s health and how to use it correctly.
What is a standing desk?
A standing desk allows you to work while standing without feeling fatigued. Adjustable standing desks, also known as sit-stand workstations, can change their height to make it comfortable for a person to stand while working. There are numerous health advantages to using a standing desk, including:
- You burn more calories standing than sitting. This implies that standing for long periods may help you avoid gaining weight.
- According to one study, people who use standing desks have lower blood sugar spikes. After lunch, when your body is processing food, standing may be particularly beneficial.
- Standing workstations might help you avoid heart disease and relieve chronic back pain.
- Standing desks may help you feel less tired and more energised. People who use standing desks report feeling less fatigued at the end of the day.
Why alter your posture during the day?
It is recommended to alternate between sitting and standing throughout the day. The most crucial thing is to stay active and maintain a good posture at all times. Many health advantages have long been linked to good posture. It can help decrease headaches and back pain as muscular strain in the neck and back can cause headaches. This strain is reduced by alternating between sitting and standing. Your body will be tired after a lot of sitting in the same place for a long time. Changing your position frequently might help you feel more energetic and alert.
Of course, there are alternative methods to use your body muscles throughout the day, such as going for a walk during your lunch break. However, we all know how difficult it is to remember to move every half an hour, especially when you’re buried in paperwork. That is why many experts advocate using a standing desk in offices and at home.
Compared to sitting, standing burns an additional eight calories each hour, assisting in burning more calories throughout the day. Furthermore, those who use standing desks are more likely to walk around during the day, engaging their muscles and improving their muscle tone. Physical activities of any kind are also beneficial for your mental health.
How to properly use a standing desk
You must understand how to stand in a way that is not harmful to your spine and leg veins.
Have a look at some tips to create an ergonomic workplace that includes both sitting and standing:
- Looking at a screen while bending your neck for hours might cause significant neck discomfort and soreness.
- When you’re in a seated position, make sure your computer is at eye level.
- Sit with your legs elevated, if possible. This helps to relieve lower back discomfort.
- Begin by standing for only ten or fifteen minutes at a time. If you spend most of your day sitting, your body will need several weeks to adjust. Remember, small steps are crucial in acquiring a new habit.
- Stand with your elbows at ninety degrees and your body parallel to the computer screen. Don’t slouch or lean on your desk as though it were a counter.
- Try standing with one foot on a box and one flat on the floor. This might assist your lower back throughout the day by shifting your weight from foot to foot.
- At your standing desk, utilise an anti-fatigue mat and appropriate shoes. An anti-fatigue mat is a rubber-based mat that helps to prevent tiredness from standing on a hard surface.